Today, The Dark Knight Rises released around the world. I haven’t seen it yet, but apart from knowing how epic it is, I’m blogging about the trilogy so far, and what I expect from TDKR and the hints Nolan has sprinkled throughout Batman Begins and The Dark Knight for what might happen in TDKR.
- In The Dark Knight, Reese asks Fox about what R&D is building for Wayne next. He suggests a rocket ship. We’ve already seen the Batwing in the trailers for TDKR, so that’s clearly a hint of things to come.
- When Wayne asks Fox whether the new suit can protect him from dogs, Fox tells him that it can protect him from cats. A clear nod to Catwoman.
- At the end of TDK, Gordon says that Batman is the hero that Gotham deserves, but isn’t the hero Gotham needs right now. From TDKR’s trailers, Bane stages a full on siege of Gotham, and so it will need Batman sooner or later.
- There’s a rumor that Bane started out as part of the League of Shadows with Ra’s Al Ghul. That seems to be fairly accurate because he’s going around mumbling about how he’s “Gotham’s Reckoning”. Pfft, yeah, right. That would mean Bane’s intentions for Gotham are pretty much the same as Ra’s Al Ghul’s: that Gotham has to fall. And with Batman out of the picture, that seems entirely possible. Which means Liam Neeson could have a cameo seeing as we didn’t actually see him die in “Begins” (although the train he was in did crash at a fast speed).
- At the beginning of the Batman series Knightfall, Wayne is under a lot of physical and mental stress from fighting crime. TDKR is set 8 years after TDK, and Wayne is seen with facial hair, a cane and weariness all over. Is it from dodging cops around town while fighting Bane? Or running into Catwoman a bunch of times?
- TDK sees Batman live long enough to see himself become the villain. TDKR should show him rise from the villainous depths and have Gotham see who he truly is.
I really can’t wait.